W2D California Destination Imagination© 2019 All rights reserved
Begin Your Team's Creative Journey
You have a Team number...
Follow the steps below for a successful DI Season
Review the Materials below to get started as a Team Manager.
Get trained – New Team Manager Training – More details can be found under the Training tab at MY CALDI.
- Hands-on Training
- CALDI Online Training
- DI University Training
Review your Resources – Look under the Resources Tab at My CALDI
Your membership number allows access to the challenge program materials which are available for download . As soon as you purchase a team number you may download your Challenge Materials.
You can download your materials 2 ways:
- MY CALDI under the Challenge Materials Tab
- International Destination Imagination site HERE (under the “Resource” tab, once you’ve set up your account through the Login link).
Team Challenge Previews
Use these to help your Team choose their challenge
- Challenge Preview Videos and Points of interest Preview
- First Look Documents
Roadmap is a Team Manager resource developed to assist you in guiding your team members as they design and execute a Challenge solution. Section three (Guiding Your Team) explains the roles you will fill as a Team Manager, gives examples of how to begin solving a Challenge, introduces project management, and provides example meeting agendas. Section three will also point you to other resources available in Roadmap.
Rules of the Road
Rules of the Road is a document that contains all of the rules, procedures, and some of the forms required to participate in a Team Challenge at a tournament. Regardless of the Team Challenge a team has selected, it is very important for the team members to review Rules of the Road to learn the details of the Challenge experience, to prepare for tournaments, and to make sure the Team Challenge solution complies with rules and procedures found in Rules of the Road.
Download Team Challenge Materials
As soon as your Team has chosen their challenge, download a copy of the full team challenge
We work every day to create a safe, fun environment so kids can have every opportunity to be successful in life. We have ZERO tolerance for inappropriate behavior of any kind, including child sexual abuse or misconduct.
Youth Protection Guidelines
- California Destination Imagination continually updates and innovates robust safety policies, programs and training for staff and volunteers that are designed to protect young people from threats that are present in our society. Complete Policy Statement.
- It is IMPORTANT to use the same legal name and email address that you use to register at MY CALDI!
- Obtain a BackGround check BEFORE you begin meeting with your Team. Caldi Background check policy can be viewed HERE
- Click Here to apply for a background check or on the button at the top of your MY CALDI home page.
- Background Check FAQ can be found HERE
Please note only a CALDI approved background check will be accepted.
Before you meet with the kids you need to get organized. Make sure you have the help you need before your first Team Meeting
Hold a Parent Meeting:
- Hold a Parent meeting to set goals, dates, times and get help!
- Download a list of ways parents can help HERE.
- Download a Sample Parent Meeting Agenda HERE.
- Download the Average Costs for a team HERE.
- Recruit your Tournament Appraiser! All teams must provide one all day trained appraiser to participate in our Regional Tournament. More info HERE. The appraiser also needs to complete a background check. Have them start the process soon.
Find a meeting Location:
- Meetings can be held at the home of the Team Manager, but can also be held elsewhere at parent’s homes, school or community rooms.
- Your team will need a space in which to store the materials they are using and the things (props, scenery, gadgets, costumes, etc.) that they make.
Choose a Meeting Day and Time:
Choose what works best for you. You are volunteering to help guide the kids every week.
Start Meeting with your Team
Plan your first team meeting and get your team started on bonding and solving the Challenge!
Prepare to have FUN!
- Teams usually meet once per week for 1 1/2 to 2 hours per week at the start. This can be on a weeknight, after school or on the weekend. It depends on what works best for your schedule.
- Rising Star teams may not meet as long. It depends on the attention span of your team!
- You may need to increase your meeting frequency and length as it gets closer to the tournament. Teams start wanting to meet more often in order to complete their solution.
Typical Meeting Plan –
Instant Challenge Practice
Team Challenge Development
5 -19 Minutes
Reflection & Cleanup
Tips from an experienced TM can be found Here
What to work on with your team the first few meetings?
Register for your Regional Tournament
All Teams must register to be able to participate in their Regional Tournament.
REGISTER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
- Login to the International DI site HERE and choose your Team’s challenge. Also check to ensure the Team Managers name and email are correct.
- Pay the Regional Tournament Fee online at the Tournament tab, by the Region’s deadline. Fees increase after that date.
- You will need your Appraiser’s (2 day commitment) and volunteer’s (3 hour commitment) contact information to finish the process.
- How to Recruit Your Teams Appraiser.
- More info on our Appraiser page HERE.
- Allow enough time for your appraiser to reply and complete a background check (1 -2 weeks) to meet the deadline.
- A complete explanation of Tournament Registration process can be found HERE
Check Out the events offered in your Region!
Check out your Region’s website.
- Go HERE and find your region’s website.
- Register for local events that will help you and your team gain the skills to solve the DI challenges.
- The events are also a great way to meet other Team Managers and learn new skills from other teams!
Keep In Touch
To be sure that our emails don’t end up in your junk folder, add our email address to your contact list.
Thoroughly read emails from your region and State Directors, and contact us if you have any questions. I promise they will be short.
You’ll receive timely reminders and information to help get you through the year. Look for Email blasts starting a few weeks before the Tournament.
Region’s Website: For event information and helpful tips.
TM Corner: Get timely help and tips from experienced team managers!
CALDI Facebook & Region pages: News and Inspiration to help in your journey.
Pinterest page: A great resource for team’s to use for backdrop, costume and prop help.