Follow the steps below to start a DI team in the Waves to Dunes Region of California
FORM A TEAM
- Teams are comprised of 2-7 members. The members can be from the same school, different schools or home-schooled. Members can all be in the same grade or different grades.Host an Information Session at your school. We are here to help!
- We are happy to help you recruit more members contact us HERE or sign up HERE.
- Read about this years team challenges HERE.
Recruit a Team Manager
- In our Region, Team Managers are usually parents, but they don’t have to be. Grand parents, teachers, Aunts and Uncles work too! DI-Team-Manager-Recruitment-Flyer
- A Team Manager must be 18 years or older, and he/she facilitates the team meetings.
- The best way to make sure that your child participates on a Destination Imagination team is to agree to be a Team Manager.
- We typically ALWAYS have more students wanting to participate than we have parents volunteering to be Team Managers.
Join us for a call on how to get started for a successful DI Journey. Phone call Sept and October –
- Register for the Orientation HERE.
- We will cover; How to register your team and download challenge materials, Registration on the State system, How to form your Team, What to do before you meet with the kids, Parent meetings and MORE!
- We will also answer any questions you might have.
- Highly recommended for New Team Managers
- Download materials HERE
Before you meet with the kids you need to get organized. Make sure you have the help you need before your first Team Meeting.
Hold a Parent Meeting:
- Hold a Parent meeting to set goals, dates, times and get help!
- Download a list of ways parents can help HERE.
- Download a Sample Parent Meeting Agenda HERE.
- Download the Average Costs for a team HERE.
- Recruit your Tournament Appraiser! All teams must provide one all day trained appraiser to participate in our Regional Tournament. More info HERE.
Find a meeting Location:
- Meetings can be held in homes, at school, in community rooms etc.
- Be sure there is space to work and store Team materials
PURCHASE A TEAM NUMBER
All Destination Imagination teams must obtain a team number to participate in the program. A team number also gives you access to DI University (online training) and access the DI challenge clarification system
- Purchase your Team Number HERE.
- Download our W2D step by step guide Directions to Purchasing a Team number.
- The organization name is your school, district or town and your affiliate is California, Region is Waves to Dunes.
- During this step you will be paying $190 per Team (the National + CADI Affiliate fees).
- It is important that you provide your correct email address and telephone number in this step, so that we can contact you!
- Download your Program Materials. Your membership number allows access to the challenge program materials which are available for download a HERE (under the “Resource” tab, once you’ve set up your account through the Login link). Download the Team challenge materials and the Team Manager materials below .
Roadmap is a Team Manager resource developed to assist you in guiding your team members as they design and execute a Challenge solution. Section three (Guiding Your Team) explains the roles you will fill as a Team Manager, gives examples of how to begin solving a Challenge, introduces project management, and provides example meeting agendas. Section three will also point you to other resources available in Roadmap.
- Rules of the Road
Rules of the Road is a document that contains all of the rules, procedures, and some of the forms required to participate in a Team Challenge at a tournament. Regardless of the Team Challenge a team has selected, it is very important for the team members to review Rules of the Road to learn the details of the Challenge experience, to prepare for tournaments, and to make sure the Team Challenge solution complies with rules and procedures found in Rules of the Road.
REGISTER WITH CALIFORNIA
You must have a Team Manager Account at California DI in order to register and pay for your team to participate in the Waves to Dunes Regional Tournament. All Team Managers and Appraisers MUST complete a background check. Read about the Policy HERE.
- Register your team into the CA Registration System HERE.
- Register the day after you purchased the Team Number to allow for processing.
- Create an account. (You will need your Team Number and Order Number)
- Fill out your Background check ASAP (an email will be sent to you as a reminder)
- Enter the name and information of Team Manager(s) and Team Members.
- It is important that you provide your correct email address and telephone number for TMs, so that we can contact you!
- If have any questions or difficulties with registration contact our California Affiliate Director HERE.
Attend W2D New New Team Manager Training Flyer – Highly Recommended! We have the help you need!
October 13, 2018 – 9-3 Laguna Beach
- An interactive hands on training for Team Managers. Filled with everything you need to start your team off right! We answer all the questions, give helpful tip and then some! Get to know other Team Managers from your area and share ideas.
Click HERE to register for The Waves to Dunes New Team Manager training.
Other trainings – If you just can’t make it to the W2D training there are some other options available.
- DI University — Online Basic Training –A bit long… You will need to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to get a login account
- CA Team Manager Training Webinars-Awesome training incase you can’t make our hands on training. Listen to the recordings at your own pace.
- CA Challenge Specific Orientation Webinars.– Make sure you check our your team’s challenge webinar once it becomes available.
- Workshops – The Wave to Dunes region offers a variety of training for Teams and Team Managers. More info HERE!
START TEAM MEETINGS
Plan your first team meeting and get your team started on solving the Challenge!
- Teams usually meet once per week for 2-3 hours.
- Meetings can be held at the home of the Team Manager, but can also be held elsewhere at parent’s homes, school or community rooms.
- Your team will need a space in which to store the materials they are using and the things (props, scenery, gadgets, costumes, etc.) that they make.
- Prepare to have FUN!
- What to work on with your team the first few meetings?
REGISTER FOR THE REGIONAL TOURNAMENT
All Teams must register to be able to participate in the Regional Tournament March 9, 2019 in Laguna Beach.
- Pay the Regional Tournament Fee of $200 HERE by Dec 1, 2018.
- The fee will increase to $400 on Dec 2, 2018.
- You will need your Appraiser’s (2 day commitment) and volunteer’s (3 hour commitment) contact information to finish the process. How to Recruit Your Teams Appraiser. More info on our Appraiser page HERE.
- Allow enough time for your appraiser to reply and complete a background check (1 -2 weeks) to meet the deadline.
- A complete explanation of Tournament Registration process can be found HERE
ATTEND IC PLAY DAY WITH YOUR TEAM
January 2019 1-4
- The Instant Challenge Team Workshop gives Teams a chance to practice the Instant Challenge Skills they’ve been learning in a non-competitive environment.
- Register your team for IC Play Day HERE.
KEEP IN TOUCH
- To be sure that our emails don’t end up in your junk folder, add our email address (email@example.com) to your contact list.
- Thoroughly read emails from our region, and contact us if you have any questions. I promise they will be short.
- You’ll receive timely reminders and information to help get you through the year. Look for Email blasts starting a few weeks before the Tournament.
Website: For event information and helpful tips.
Lana’s Blog: Get timely help and tips from an experienced team member!
Facebook page: News and Inspiration to help in your journey.
Pinterest page: A great resource for team’s to use for backdrop, costume and prop help.